Friday, April 15, 2011

Wi-Tribe 4G Wireless Broadband–Review

Wi-Tribe 4G Wireless Broadband

I recently acquired a Wi-Tribe 4G Wireless Boom for testing. For a wireless broadband, well, compared to the others that I had used before, I can really say that this is a true wireless broadband. It is fast. Really fast!

Wi-Tribe Speed Test

I did a speed test and I got more than 1mbps for the download. A lot of people I know had asked me this question before, “Will I be able to play online games with Smart Bro or Globe Tattoo?” and I always tell them that since it is wireless and it runs on cellular technologies then it would be really slow for online gaming and it would be a lot better if you just connect using the typical DSL line or a cable internet connection. Well, a lot of you would tell me, not true… not true.. have you tried it? Sorry to say, I have. I bought myself a smartbro dongle and also had tried using the globe tattoo usb dongle. This is what I would normally say when I get to play an online game, “AMF NAMAN!!!! LAAAAGGG!!! #$@%!@!” And I am sure this is true to a lot of you out there.

But for the Wi-Tribe, I had to change my answer. If you ask me the same question but for Wi-Tribe, what I am going to tell you is this: “It is fast and I mean fast! It is not like your Smart Bro or Globe tattoo. It is 4G after all. I tried playing Special Force with it and I could honestly say.. No lags so far. I tried capturing the screen for a video proof but Camtasia could not capture it. But I assure you, if you have tried it yourself you would say cool. Imagine me connecting this to my car and play online games anywhere I am parked with my laptop. Well, that is if I am within Metro Manila.”

Wi-Tribe now only covers Metro Manila. But I had heard that they are going to extend their reach. This made me really smile. Imagine going around with my Wi-Tribe boom or dongle (Yes, yes! They do have their own dongle but its still 4G!) and get the same speed I have with my wired connection at home.

After testing the product, I now went online to look at different forums and threads about Wi-Tribe. Now there are a lot of negative comments there like the speed drops, the connection is intermittent. I have read all of them. Now it just seems unfair for them to criticize and compare this product to the slow 3G dongles that they have. You better try this out first before saying anything. It is not like Smart Bro or Globe tattoo is perfectly connected. When I used to have Smart Bro and Globe Tattoo, I had intermittent connections and it was far worse than what they had described. These people even had it the other way around. When it comes to having no signal. Well, even in the Metro, I lose connection with Smart and Globe, don’t you? That is the problem with wireless. There are still places where signals are really low. That is why you place the receiver in a location where you get the best signal.

One major problem that I had read in forums and threads is the Bandwidth capping. For the Plan 998 or 1mbps plan of Wi-Tribe you have a 6GB usage allowance. Now, I had read a lot of really nasty comments about this but the truth that everyone fails to see is that all the ISPs have their own capping it is just that they failed to tell you about it. Look for that thing you signed with them and read it. It is under the “Fair Usage Policy”. I have noticed this with my PLDT DSL connection, with the SKY Broadband connection, Smart Bro and Globe tattoo. You can test this yourself. One thing we notice is that when it is almost time for us to pay for the bill the speed slows down. And it really slows down. We even thought back then that they do this intentionally to tell you to pay your bills in advance. In fact, I had even called each of their own customer service about this. Like when my speed with PLDT DSL went down to 600kbps. I called them up and all they said was “Sir, the speed you told us is within the normal range.” Now, that is the reason why they tell you “Up to 1mbps”. Try reading again. Maybe you did not have your glasses on. If you are still skeptical about the Fair Usage Policy try looking for your copy.

Now, to sum it all up. I would say that with the capping and all, specially if you would just use the net for email, browsing and gaming, this is the perfect product for you. It is definitely high speed.

If you want to test it out… then sure, I am open to give you a Wi-Tribe 4G demo.

32 comments:

  1. " all the ISPs have their own capping it is just that they failed to tell you about it"


    not true. PLDT dsl has no cap. Tried and tested ko na

    ReplyDelete
  2. However the evidence seems to be that not all experiences are bad. There are some areas with good service. Same thing for PLDT DSL and others. I happen to be one of the lucky ones with PLDT DSL and you are one of the lucky ones with wi-tribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a part of the Terms and conditions of PLDT:

    Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations - The Subscriber shall comply with the current bandwidth, data storage and other limitations of the PLDT Data Services. The Subscriber shall ensure that its activity does not improperly restrict, inhibit, or degrade PLDT’s or any other party’s use of the PLDT Data Services nor represent (in PLDT’s sole discretion) an unusually large burden on the PLDT network.

    Acceptable Use Policy - In PLDT’s efforts to promote good citizenship within the Internet community, PLDT will respond appropriately in the event that it becomes aware of any inappropriate use of the service. PLDT reserves the right to MONITOR BANDWIDTH, usage and content, and from time to time to operate the service to identify violations of the Acceptable Use Policy or any inappropriate use of the service and/or to protect the PLDT network and other PLDT Subscribers.

    Although it is not directly stated (I have capitalized MONITOR BANDWIDTH for easier identification), they do have control over your connection speed when you go beyond a certain cap (a limit which we do not know). ISPs normally have to do this so as to prevent subscribers from eating up all the bandwidth that would cause others to have speed issues.

    I find it hard to believe that you had not experienced any slowdown, not even once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sir, im interested at your wi-tribe 4g internet...i think it is very convenient because it doesn't need anymore a cable right? so it does mean i can bring that anywhere in my office? even i go upstair up to 11th floor??

    as of now im using the pldt dsl but im unsatisfied to its speed specialy in downloading. anywaiz i want to try your wi-tribe because my friends told me that it is the best as of now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not saying that it is the best overall but it is one of the best. When it comes to wireless broadband internet, I can say that, for now, it is the best.. I am still looking for one that could beat it and possibly write a review about it here as well.

    If you are interested in having a wi-tribe connection you can contact my friend on these numbers Globe:09272451619, Smart:09093464689, Sun:09339578727. Gabby will be glad to give you a free demonstration. Just send him a text.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wi-Tribe Took away the CAP. Its now 4G unlimited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. smartbro is NOT for online games. i cannot stress that enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you seen wi tribe's fair usage policy? (http://www.wi-tribe.ph/fair-usage-policy) It seems like it's far stricter than pldt's. They actively discourage sending movie downloading and file sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again. That is the reason why I am not saying that it is the best overall. But when it comes to wireless broadband, I can say that this is the best so far. You cannot compare that to PLDT's DSL since that is wired internet. Now compare this with smart bro or globe tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a recent subscriber to Wi-tribe. My recent experience with it is not worthwhile. It has frequent signal disconnection,slow connection, one cannot download movies during peak hours, and during off-peak hours, one can download only two movies per week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But I have problems downloading with the bittorrent downloader. Super slow ang pagDL ng movie. Bakit ganun?

    ReplyDelete
  12. can i play online game like special force with the plan 598?

    ReplyDelete
  13. can i play online game like special force with the plan 598?thnks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you compared this with pldt dsl in online gaming? Could you also use a speed test that is not owned by both pldt and wi-tribe so we can see? Its hard to see gaming comparisons for both so i'm having a hard time deciding :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, let me clarify this again. Wi-Tribe uses wireless technology, 4G. It would not be comparable to PLDT DSL. If I were to choose between a wired system and a wireless system.. Wired system would always win.. hands down. So if you were to choose between PLDT DSL and Wi-Tribe. I would suggest you go with PLDT DSL.

    When it comes to Gaming, Wi-tribe is capable but as when it comes to latency.. it is still not comparable to DSL. It does work. But if you are planning on going for online games.. I still suggest DSL.

    When it comes to Downloading movies and torrents. Again, DSL. Also, in your terms and conditions with Wi-Tribe.. I think it includes a part that says they do not support or allow torrent downloads.

    Wireless connectivity is limited. It is fast being 4G but they would not allow torrent as it would eat up bandwidth. So if you were to do these things.. I still suggest a wired system.

    Wireless always looks cool. But its best for just surfing and browsing the web. My blog about wi-tribe is to just feature its capability and speed. It does work for games.. but it really is not comparable to a wired system. So you can try it first. If it runs on your game then good. I tried it on mine and it works.

    With regard to the speedtests, you can rely on both the wi-tribe and pldt speedtests. They are connected to or powered by a 3rd party speed test app.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok thanks for the input. Going off-topic, is there any ISP here providing fiber optics net service?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes. You can contact PLDT for that. They offer these kinds of services. But it would really cost too much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is Wi-tribe good with Online Games? i saw that they are being used in PS3 OL gaming, its being displayed pa nga at their shops) but im not sure if its okay. i got this 2MBPS Witribe Modem (it doesnt have that BOOM name on it, i wonder whats the difference) and when i speed test of course it would even reach 2MBPS, minimum of 1MBPS but my problem lies with OL gaming, I wonder if Private servers, even those who were good and famous, its pretty Laggy i cant even play good. so i wonder what's the problem, my witribe or the private server...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its witribe most probably. I still would not recommend it for gaming. It does work at time but the stability of a wireless connection is not that good compared to a wired connection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. how about for video calling, like skype? would you recommend wi tribe too?

    ReplyDelete
  21. For Skype video calling, I think that they are more than capable of handling that. I think they actually boast an approval from skype as well for their speed compatibility with skype services. Not really sure about the approval from Skype but wi-tribe can handle that. They no longer have a cap so video streaming is not an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. However thinks of getting Wi-tribe, think again! I have been using Wi-tribe for already a year now. At first they were ok but as the months pass by it kept getting worse. With the 4mbps connection, I was only getting 0.25 mbps!! not even 1/4 of the promised 4mbps... I have complained a lot of times, they told us to do the technical procedure, which we did, and we even gave them screenshots of the download and upload speed test. What did they say??? That they are undergoing maintenance, etc etc... After a few weeks, we send them another email, but the procedure is still the same!! As if they haven't took the time to note what we already done. To prove my point, visit this and see how many irate customers already complained to "WI-TRIBE": https://www.facebook.com/WiTribeComplaints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there were a lot of complaints and those are due to wrong information given by some of the agents. That is the main reason why I added this post to give the right information.

      Delete
  23. Ummm. How's the ping or status when playing special force? I'm not playing SF but I'm really fond of playing CrossFire. I wish I could play these kind games using my laptop without the lags. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do not recall my ping status when I was using the witribe sample before. I'm sure it was between 20 and 30. Also it was early in the morning when I tried it like around 1 - 2 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello sir what broad band do you think are beter to my internet shop with 10Sysstem Unit? and what name any suggest sir ?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For internet shops, the best provider is of course the ones that provide the wired/dsl internet. So on top of the list is, of course, PLDT and then there's Globe broadband. Do no think of using wireless for your internet shop business even if its just for 10 units.

      Delete
  26. My wi-tribe internet is always being disconnected when i play Perfect world Philippines. How can i fix that?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with the information on this post. I have been using witribe 4mbps and it is good for gaming, video streaming and downloading. I guess Im one of the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, good for you guys. Not all were lucky to have a good connection. You can check my Wi-Tribe speed test review.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This has been a really wonderful blog Thank you
    for providing this information.
    netspeedtest

    ReplyDelete